News & Info

<< Return

How to Freeze Your Property Taxes. - Monday, April 23, 2012

If you or your spouse is 65 years of age, and have an adjusted gross income of $64,410 or less, or any person with a service-connected disability of fifty percent or more and by certain members of the armed forces of the United States or members of the Louisiana National Guard killed or missing in action or who were prisoners of war, and to any person designated as permanently totally disabled, who own and live in their home, qualify for a freeze on the fair market value of their homestead property. That means, the assessed value of your home will remain the same regardless of reappraisal. Take note that it is only the assessed value that is frozen, not the millage or tax rate, which is set by the voters of the parish.

You can apply at the St. James Parish Assessor's Office in Convent or Vacherie or you may go to our "Forms" page and print a special assessment level form and either mail it in, fax it to (225-562-2249), drop it by the office in Convent or Vacherie, or fill it out electronically and e-mail it in . You will also need a copy of your latest income tax returns to verify your income and have proof of your disability status.

Please direct questions to the St. James Parish Assessor's Office.


© Copyright 2017, St James Parish Assessor Office. All rights reserved.